This week we’re obsessing over the media darling of the moment- Golden Milk, made with turmeric powder. Dr. Doherty is writing an article about turmeric and curcumin for Gluten Free & More magazine. Make sure you watch for it!
Golden Milk is all the rage because of its awesome health benefits. It has been used for centuries to aid digestion and health. Golden Milk gets its name from the yellow color of the turmeric which is the primary ingredient. Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It is also beneficial for rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, depression and a host of other ailments. Since inflammation is linked to so many health conditions Golden Milk is a great “go to” beverage.
Here is the recipe that I’ve been enjoying. It is super simple to make and the paste can stay in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. I drink it every night as the warmth and subtle and creamy flavor are a great way to relax and unwind. By the way, don’t skip the ground pepper, because it helps you absorb the turmeric more efficiently!
½ cup of turmeric (I like bulk turmeric from a health food store)
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp ginger powder
½ tsp cardamom
½ tsp cinnamon (or more if you like!)
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cup filtered water, plus ½ cup more
½ cup coconut oil or ghee
¼ cup raw honey
- Combine all spices except the turmeric in a bowl and put them aside
- Combine turmeric and 1 ½ cups of filtered water in a small sauce pan. Stir constantly on medium heat until it simmers gently, then add another ½ cup of filtered water. Continue to stir.
- Add the rest of the spices and cook low for a few minutes until it is thick and smooth.
- Turn off the heat and add your fat of choice until it is well blended. Add honey as it cools.
- Store in the fridge in a screw top jar when cool
Now all you need is warm milk and a teaspoon of the turmeric paste, stir and enjoy!
I used to drink a lot of tea at night, but I am becoming a convert to Golden Milk. My milk of choice is almond/coconut milk as it makes a richly flavored Golden Milk.